25 Do not forget your first love part 2

 


Do not forget your first love part 2





2 “To the angel of the church in Ephesus write:

These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands. 2 I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. 3 You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary.

4 Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first. 5 Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. 6 But you have this in your favour: You hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

7 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.


Having put the hard work in of gathering and strengthening the church. Having endured hostility and other challenges. The church at Ephesus was now standing accused of forsaking their first love. Having looked at Jeremiah and the accusation levelled at the Israelites by God, we now see this is a recurring problem with God's people. The Ephesians were active enough, they were not short in doing things and taking care of the community. But they were losing sight of their Saviour, the love they had was not quite there, the devotion, the desire to be led, the desire to worship. We have more free time today than probably at any time in history, and how do we spend it? How much time do I put into work, hobbies, TV, reading. Cooking etc. and how much time do I spend praying or reading the word of God? I can tell you I fall short. I say I have no idols, and yet I am happy to travel to another country to follow my football team of which I am also happy to wear the colours to show who's side I am on. Yet am I so bold in proclaiming the word of God? Do I spend much of my time researching every hit a favourite band brought out, or trying to get to their concerts, or do I watch every cookery or antique show on TV and spending little time contemplating the one whom without we would have none of these things?

The church was never to be about things. It was never to be about self or a select group gaining at the expense of others. It was not to be uncaring and scared to face or talk about the issues of the day. It was not to avoid the difficult conversations or to ignore the emotional and mental needs of the community. The church was there to love and praise God, serve Him and be a light to the people around. To warn of sin, yes, but also to preach and show grace to others.


John 13:34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

23 Who is the church?

26 Would you give your life?